- Application Development
- Web Development
- Content Management Systems
- E commerce Development
- Internet Marketing
- Mobile App Development
- Web Hosting
- Contact Us
Hashtag is nothing but a kind of label used on social media that helps the users to participate in the conversation or message with a particular theme or content
Hashtags and its Importance in Social Media Marketing
Posted by Murali on category Social Media Marketing
Hashtag is nothing but a kind of label used on social media that helps the users to participate in the conversation or message with a particular theme or content. To create hashtag, a hash (#) symbol is used in front of a word, acronym, or even phrase without space. Hashtag becomes more popular among social media users as an understanding of hashtag’s usage grew. It is now considered not merely as a collection of characters, but as a tool that is used to reach targeted audiences, link like-minded users, and ease the conversation thread in social media. People started searching for everything; therefore, searches take place everywhere. That makes hashtag the most effective way of finding conversation or content related to topics of their interest.
History of Hashtag
In August 2007, Chris Messina is the one who first used hashtag in his tweet (whereas the term “Hashtag” was derived from Stow Boyd’s Twitter post). His intention of using hashtag is to gather conversations and exchanges. He feels that even common individuals can also influence the direction of the internet by tagging their posts using hashtags.
Importance of Hashtags in Online Marketing
Success in online marketing relies on the companies’ ability to promote conversations and engagement through its content that needs to be found by the targeted audience. Companies have started using hashtags to create positive online discussions and, thereby, build loyalty and brand recognition. Hashtag is a noteworthy tool to deliver brand messages for businesses’ online marketing. As hashtags have the power to bring in greater attention for a branded campaign, it takes its strong base in the online marketing. It is vital in online marketing because hashtags are,
- efficient in hitting targeted market
- the easiest way to identify our audiences
- to convey right content to the right person, group, or community
- helpful in finding relevant conversations, discussions, topics, groups, companies, audiences, etc.
- the link that connects the like-minded people.
Business gets an opportunity to be notified by the massive group that is interested in a particular product or service. Without hashtags, it is not possible to find the relevant group or market easily. It provides great insights into the product, connects your brand with the buyers, and enhances brand loyalty. Social media marketing have taken a tremendous place in promoting business online, and now, hashtags have made it easier.
Social Media and Hashtags
Hashtag gradually gains support from other social media as Twitter did. Almost every big social network (except LinkedIn) catches hashtag craze because of its huge adoption rate.
- Twitter: On Twitter, hashtags are primarily used to refer to a particular topic of discussions.
- Facebook: Facebook starts supporting hashtag from 2013 that are mostly tags for categorizing specific discussions among users.
- Instagram and Vine: These social media use hashtag to complement photo or videos shared to increase its views or shares.
- Google+: Google+ hashtag will include original hashtag and posts with similar keywords or tags.
- Tumblr: Tags in Tumblr have functioned as hashtag in Facebook does. However, the symbol will automatically be inserted and the post’s main content will not get the link.
- Pinterest: Pinterest has also joined the hashtag bandwagon that uses it to search for content and mark.
Common mistakes to avoid while tagging
Sending a post with a hashtag or creating hashtag becomes easier. But, there are certain unwritten rules and basic etiquette to be followed as hashtags have often gone wrong because of certain mistakes.
Following are the common mistakes that need to be avoided while creating hashtags:
- Creating long or clever hashtags
- Using more hashtags than words
- Hashtags everything (spamming)
- Hashtag pollution
- Using space, punctuation, or special character between the words
- Too difficult to understand
- Not promoting hashtag properly
- Not researching them thoroughly
- Jumping on the Bandwagon (popular yet sensitive hashtag)
- Added to unrelated tweets (irrelevant to the topic of the Tweet
- Being Redundant
Tools to Track Hashtags
- Keyhole – tracker for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Its dashboard displays the information about the no. of people who posted with the hashtag you tweet, and re-tweets, impressions, and likes your campaign is generating.
- Hashtagify.me – helps to find hashtags and tweets around them and draw out hashtags related to the one you have searched for and find top influences for each hashtag
- Twubs – comes with auto-complete features that give more suggestions on the go as you type. Also acts as hashtag directory and registry
- Tagboard – opens with the board that has updates from social media like Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Instagram, etc.
- Topsy – helps users to predict, quantify, discover, and make decisions using the most effective social analytics products.
- TweetBinder – helps to analyze a twitter hashtag to find participants engaged in the discussions, the most influential, links that are shared, etc.
Hashtags are categorizing content, identifying themes, and tracking a real-time conversation. It spreads its wings everywhere that make the modern marketing strategy adopt hashtag to get visibility. Hashtag is a new way of getting more visibility to your business in the digital marketing.