- Application Development
- Web Development
- Content Management Systems
- E commerce Development
- Internet Marketing
- Mobile App Development
- Web Hosting
- Contact Us
The e-commerce sector has grown strongly in last 5 years and still increasing with positive ascent and as a contributor, it holds 45
How Flexible is WordPress for Building an Online Store
Posted by Selvan on category Wordpress , eCommerce Website Development
The e-commerce sector has grown strongly in last 5 years and still increasing with positive ascent and as a contributor, it holds 45.4% of all types of websites on the entire web. WordPress has been a great CMS for all time for many types of blogging as well as commercial websites. It is also being used for e-commerce websites these days as there are multiple of add-ons available which can make your website in an online store.
Reasons to select WordPress as platform for Online store
- WordPress provides you full access and control of your online store.
- Using WordPress as CMS for your website can provide you easy access to all other portions of the website that are not e-commerce like a blog, pages etc.
- If you are not so familiar with the technical things like coding and programming them you don’t need to think about it as it doesn't need many technical skills to be operated.
- You can use WordPress online site in case if you want to start with some small site and want to grow up with it.
- If you don’t have any plan to work with complicated payment system then you can opt for WooCommerce payment system and further carry on with other payment gateways like PayPal, Google Wallet, and Amazon etc.
- WordPress can be a good platform for you if you want to pull developers into your project as you start growing.
- You can use WordPress as an online site if you need some other features also included with it like a blog, portfolios etc.
Limitations of WordPress as Platform for Ecommerce
WordPress is ultimate popular platform and its popularity is one of the biggest downfalls for it. As due to popularity, it holds a huge number of websites on its servers. And due to large databases, the WordPress is also getting attacked by various kinds of hackers. WordPress always releases new versions to overcome these issues but one should always opt for the safer side. Especially when we talk about the e-commerce website development, safety is considered to be the first and fundamental requirement.
As soon your business starts growing you will need to handle tons of data and orders and for these the WordPress executes can be overloaded by many web servers.
For any kind of e-commerce website, you will always need to have the perfect plugin and best theme when you are using it through the WordPress. These themes and pre-built plugins can because of many major conflictions when you try to upgrade your WordPress core files. The major reason behind this is most of the themes and plugins does not become compatible with the WordPress upgrade.
Everything in the WordPress needs to be upgraded whether it is a theme, plugins or the core files. In many cases, some of your customizations can be lost once you upgrade your current versions of themes or plugins.
Ways to make WordPress as online Store
When we talk about the ways to create popular e-commerce websites then there may be many names that can stick your mind. Some of the most used platforms are WooCommerce, Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, and OpenCart.
In all these e-commerce website cms platforms, WooCommerce is used most widely for creating online shops. It is used in around 176,224 websites out of all e-commerce websites.
Well, you might have questions in your mind about the WooCommerce that why it rule the world and why it is first in the e-commerce list. WooCommerce is actually an e-commerce extension of the WordPress which is most popular content management system and powers about 25% of all websites in the world alone.
Woocommerce is all in one tool for the WordPress users to create the online shops that provide great services along with powerful tools. It’s free and very easy to use by everyone.
Like every other thing Woocommerce also comes with lots of advantages and downloads.
- It’s very easy to use and free.
- It allows you to add unlimited products and attributes.
- It works on absolutely all devices.
- Once you are done with installation it totally becomes your entity. Now you can use it with a variety of customization options and ultra-convenient to use. You will have all the controls that you need.
- The installation process is very easy and convenient to use. The software provides an intuitive interface so that you will not need to have any special technical skills to manage it.
- Woocommerce allows users to give ratings and reviews that simply means customers are allowed to give feedbacks of your products.
- It can be more beneficial for the people who have already their sites on WordPress.
- Woocommerce does not include the hosting with its package and you will need to pay for it. Woocommerce is a plugin that only supports WordPress.
- Creating an online store can be a little bit difficult because for this you will simply need to have a host and then you will need to install WordPress and then you will need to choose a theme that is compatible with Woocommerce.
- This plugin is free but still needs some expensive extensions to make better e-commerce website.
Why Using WordPress as a platform can be beneficial for you?
WordPress is one of the top content management systems rather than Joomla and Drupal. Even if the WordPress was used as blogging the only platform previously, but later it has acquired very complexly with the time and now being utilized to create all types of websites. In all kinds of these sites, WordPress is also used to create e-commerce websites.
You are free to create e-commerce websites with other platforms like Magneto, Shopify, BigCommerse and OpenCart but you can also create multipurpose websites with the help of WordPress.
WordPress provides overall control over your website and it allows you to add blogs, pages, portfolios etc. along with the e-commerce website. WordPress is loaded with millions of themes and plugins which make every critical task easier and one do not need to have the technical expertise to install or operate them. These plugins and prebuilt templates allow you to integrate plenty of great services to your websites. There are millions of templates available depending on various budgets, and you can choose one that suits your pockets for the premium services.
Other e-commerce platforms like Magento comes with very complex structure and user interface and one cannot handle it without any technical expertise whereas the WordPress is considered to be the one of best, easy and reliable e-commerce platform and it can be accessed by any novice or beginners.
Even if it is very easy to use for web users, but it also used as a great source of development for all designers and coders as you can use your best coding skills to create your specific design and features or any specific thing that you want on your e-commerce website.
But in case if you want to create e-commerce websites at large enterprise level then you must not opt for Wordpress and in this case, Magento can be your best partner. Yes, you will need some external support of developers to handle the designing and operating the websites but by the help of these, you can be able to handle a large amount of content and features for your online store.
Using WordPress for your website always sounds like a better option and it is more than reliable for these sites if you are just a starter and want to learn and grow. Yes, you will have to pay for some premium features but you will have the authority and all the access of the website and you alone can do anything with your website. And many of these services are both free and paid in options and you can pay for a couple of necessary options and opt for free versions for remaining features.
Let's decide how to proceed!
WordPress is an open source software and includes plenty of free and premium services. You might have gone through various e-commerce site building platforms and will have found that most of the features exceeding than the Woocommerce but still they lack some important features that WordPress consists.
There are some other WordPress plugins which also can be used to create e-commerce store but all of them cannot be compared to Woocommerce as it is free, reliable and easy to use. WooCommerce is a product of Woothemes which is a part of WordPress community for very long term and also owned by the same company which the WordPress owned.
In a nutshell, WordPress can be a great option to make an e-commerce store and all you have to do is to install Woocommerce plugin for that. WordPress e-commerce stores are very flexible that they can have many types of sections along with the online store like blogs, commercial pages, and portfolios. Along with all these things, WordPress also allows you to have the authority and total control over your e-commerce website, unlike other e-commerce platforms.